By Gareth Miller, article editor, DvrSecurityLab.com
last updated: September 12, 2007
There really isn’t a simple answer to this question. There are many ways to accomplish the same task. It depends on the site for your installation, your budget and countless other details. Your situation might be unique enough to require more or less equipments than the next guy. However, if you are reading this, you probably are just trying to get a general sense on how to set up a basic security camera system. In that case, I’ll give you what you are looking for. But before we go on, I like to just quickly mention this: we’ll be talking about the equipments for CCTV (closed circuit television) system, NOT about network IP cameras. If you are looking for information on IP cameras, reading this article might be more pleasurable. [The ins and out of Network IP cameras]
ok, let's get back to the original topic: “What equipments are needed for a security camera system?”
Let me first give you a quick and dirty answer.
- Something to capture the scene. (Security Cameras)
- Something to record the images/video. (Recorder)
- Something to view the images/video. (TV/monitor/computer)
- Something that will connect each of the items together. (cables, wireless transmitter, etc.)
- Something that will supply power to each item in your system. (AC/DC adapter, power supply panel)
If you like diagrams, here is one to illustrate the above answer.
If you find the above answer to be too too simple and just simply not satisfying enough, then please go to the next page (or click on the links above). I will explain each on the above list.
Next: Something to capture the scene. (Security Cameras)